Friday, May 29, 2015

Camino: May 28

All of us were up and out the door a bit later this morning. We didn't have as many miles to cover today, so we took advantage of a little extra sleep. After having an amazing croissant a cafĂ© con leche for breakfast, we set out on our route. The weather this morning was beautiful, cool and breezy. I'm starting to think everything is a bit more beautiful when you're not used to the view...even the flowers look prettier here. 






The route today splits into two options. The alternate route is a little bit longer, but offers a shady and scenic trail. The original part is known as the "industrial zone" and features an extremely long stretch of flat, shade-less road surrounded by warehouses and industrial plants. We stopped for lunch and as it turns out, had missed the turn off for the alternate route. So as we began walking again, Alissa and Lenny decided to be adventurous and tried to find the alternate route. (After jumping a fence, they were successful!) On the other hand, Hannah, George, and I felt like following the arrows. I'll admit I regret that decision a bit. (I am also severely lacking pictures because there was nothing very picturesque, nor did I have the energy to care to take them. Haha)

Walking through the industrial zone was not physically stressful so much as mentally challenging. It got extremely hot today and I could feel the sun burning my skin. It stretched on for a while, but finally we reached a cafe and got to sit down. It felt amazing. With a few miles left to go, we were hesitant to leave the cafe in the intense sun. I cannot say how relieved (and maybe grumpy) I was when we finally found the albergue.

We all got showered (perhaps one of the days I am actually really grateful for a cold shower) and cleaned up. Gathering some of our friends from the albergue, 14 of us headed to dinner. It was such a great time eating delicious food and enjoying the scenery around us. After dinner, Hannah, Alissa, and I stopped for some ice cream in a local shop. Best decision I made today. Then we hit the grocery store to buy our lunches for tomorrow. A huge load of freshly baked bread for .55€? It's heavenly. 







When we got back, we played a few games of UNO in the common area before heading up to bed. 

Please pray:
For the team's physical ailments (blisters, soreness, sunburn, etc.)
For our friends who are hiking the Camino with us

**Yesterday I asked for prayer for Natalie. Today she ended up taking a taxi to Santiago because she could not walk further due to injury. She already has a Compastela from past Camino so she will just stay and enjoy the city until her plane leaves on Sunday. Please continue to pray for her recovery!

No comments:

Post a Comment