Friday, June 13, 2014

6/12 Spain day 1

Spain Day 1
Today we took a taxi to O' Cebreiro, Spain. It seems that the times it is supposed to take us is never accurate. A four hour drive turned into a much longer one. However, we got to ride through the mountains in Spain and I won't complain about that! It is absolutely gorgeous, you feel like you're at the top of the world. We got to our private albergue this afternoon and had some time to look around this quaint town. We got our Credencials del Peregrino which are essentially pilgrims passports that you get stamped at each place you go along the way. In Santiago, the office checks to make sure you have walked the minimum distance (we are going much further than that) and then you get a Compastela (a certificate saying you completed the Camino). After a few days of a lot of walking (even though we haven't started the Camino), we still decided to hike up to the top of a mountain to a cross. It is one of the most incredible views because you can see forever on each direction. The pictures don't begin to do it justice. I met a man on the way up who only spoke Spanish, but we got to talk for a little while. His wife is not in good health, so she meets him every few days along the Camino while he walks. He graciously took photos of Zach and I. :)

If I had to pick two themes so far, they would be food and fellowship. And they almost always go together. A meal is started around 8pm and goes very late. We all have a lot of calories to work off tomorrow due to the fact that dinner was large and delicious. I had some tuna in a pasta salad (still not my favorite) followed by scrumptious ribs. For dessert I tried flan (texture didn't agree with me but I tried it!) and then had ice cream. I am enjoying getting to know the 4 other members on my team as we prep for the Camino. 

Tomorrow we begin our journey at 7am, before the heat slows us down. We are surrounded by mountains and the terrain is rough so please be praying for healthy bodies. I've been told that the first two days on the Camino are the worst, so I am trying to mentally prepare as best as possible. After the first two days, they say your bodies is used to always being in pain and it gets easier. After 3 days, the terrain will not be as strenuous on our last stretch to Santiago.
Please continue to pray for relationships and conversations to strike up among people we meet along the way. We are here to encourage Abel, encourage his staff, encourage pilgrims and LASTLY to be pilgrims ourselves. This poses a challenge when our bodies make us want to be selfish and complain. 
We really appreciate all the love we are getting! I'm sorry we haven't been able to post as often as hoped. Maybe next time I'll need to look into an international plan! Either way, know that I'm thinking about you and praying for you! 

Shout out to my mom and dad... love you tons and we can't wait to see you! Wish you were here, and thank you for all your support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment